This section of the guide will help you to prepare everything.
Step 0: What You Will Need¶
A SD Card (or Micro SD card + adapter)
- We recommend a SD with at least 4GB+ even if not needed. A small SD card is enough to get CFW running, but larger ones are preferred for installing games and performing NAND backups efficiently.
- If you want to backup your Wii U, you should use a SD at least twice the size of your console (16GB for the white console and 64GB for the black one)
A working internet connection on your Wii U
- The browser exploit requires internet (Crazy, I know). If you decide to install Haxchi this is only needed once however.
One of the following games if you want Haxchi:
NOTE: This is not required if you just want to run the Browser exploit. We do recommend buying one of these games though
WARNING: Don’t use a pirated copy of these games. This will result in a brick.
Compatible Haxchi Games Animal Crossing: Wild World Big Brain Academy Brain Age DK: Jungle Climber Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training Kirby: Canvas Curse Kirby: Mass Attack Kirby: Squeak Squad / Kirby: Mouse Attack Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time Mario Kart DS New Super Mario Bros. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky Pokemon Ranger Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia Starfox Command Super Mario 64 DS Wario: Master of Disguise WarioWare: Touched Yoshi’s Island DS Yoshi’s Touch & Go
We recommend buying Brain Age as it’s the cheapest at 6.99€ ($6.99 USD). However any of those games work fine!
If you had Brain Age or Brain Training installed for a very long time, please consider deleting and redownloading it as older versions are not compatible with Haxchi.
Step 1: Format your SD Card¶
The Wii U needs a FAT32 formatted SD card. However unlike the Switch, only FAT32 works!. If you need to format your SD on Windows and you can’t find FAT32 as a selectable option, use guiformat and set the Allocation Unit Size to 32K (32768).
Don’t call your SD “wiiu”, this will cause problems later on
Step 2: Download Kosmos Wii U¶
- Grab the latest version of Kosmos-WiiU from https://github.com/AtlasNX/WiiU-Kosmos/releases
- Insert your SD card into your PC
- Open `Kosmos-WiiU-vX.zip` with a ZIP Archiver of your choice
- Copy the content of the ZIP onto your SD
- You should now have a `wiiu`, `haxchi` and `install` folder on your SD
Congratulations, we’re done with preparations.
Continue to Exploits and You